Thirty-five stone man who hasn't worked for nine years because he is too fat - Continentalinquirer

News, Updates, Human Angle Stories, Investigations & Research from the kaleidoscope of thorough bred journalists...

Breaking

Thursday 23 July 2015

Thirty-five stone man who hasn't worked for nine years because he is too fat



A thirty-five stone man who struggles to move because of his size and needs help washing and dressing says he has been refused weight-loss surgery because he is not unwell enough. 
Les Price, 45, from Brynithel in South Wales, who takes 17 pills a day to help with aches and pains, hasn't been able to work for nine years following an accident that left him immobile.
He's had to have his council house modified to help him get around and now gets £300 a month disability allowance because he is no longer employable, and says having a gastric sleeve operation is his only hope to find a job. 
Scroll down for video 
Les Price, 45, admits he has never been slim but his weight ballooned to 37st after he had an accident at work that left him immobile 
Les Price, 45, admits he has never been slim but his weight ballooned to 37st after he had an accident at work that left him immobile 
He is currently waiting for an appointment to see if he can have a gastric sleeve fitted on the NHS. 
But Les told FEMAIL, he hasn't qualified for the surgery yet as he isn't 'ill enough'.
'I'm heavy enough but not ill enough for surgery,' he said.
'I've been told I'm not unhealthy enough because I don't have a heart condition or sky high blood pressure and because I have type two diabetes not type one diabetes.'

Les said he needs to have the operation on the NHS, which would cost taxpayers around £5,000, as he could never afford to pay for it privately.
'I know the operation isn't the answer to everything but if I get it my life could turn round and I could get back to work and stop being a massive drain on NHS resources,' he said on Channel 5 show Fat Chance of Work.
Les believes he has earned the right to have the surgery for free as: 'I worked all my life so why can't I have a little bit back?' 
He said he would 'definitely' go back to work if he was capable but currently he can barely move without pain. He relies on his partner, Christine, to help wash and dress him. 
'I don't want to be this size, I have never wanted to be this size. It is hard because I get breathless, I get cramp, I can't rely on everybody all the time. I try to do my best but it's not easy.
Les said he would love to get back to work, but currently he can barely move without pain due to his size
Les said he would love to get back to work, but currently he can barely move without pain due to his size
Les believes a gastric sleeve will help curb his appetite and he needs to have it on the NHS as he can't afford the operation privately
Les believes a gastric sleeve will help curb his appetite and he needs to have it on the NHS as he can't afford the operation privately
'Without anyone to help me I would be stuck in bed, I would have nothing, I'd be useless,' he said.
Les admits he has always had a big appetite and has never been slim. His parents even took him to see a dietitian when he was eight because they were concerned with his size but were told it was just 'puppy fat'.

WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO QUALIFY FOR WEIGHT-LOSS SURGERY ON THE NHS? 

Weight-loss - or to give it its proper name, bariatric - surgery is among the more expensive funded by the NHS.
The most common type is a gastric bypass, which costs the NHS between £9,000 and £15,000 per patient, or a gastric band which costs between £5,000 and £8,000.
As a result, the treatment is only offered to people with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or above or 35 or above for those who also have dangerous Type 2 diabetes.
Candidates for weight-loss surgery must also prove that every other option has been exhausted and that the operation is likely to have a high chance of success.
In order to make this more likely, patients are expected to make major lifestyle changes and adopt a healthy diet both before and after surgery.
Those who complete the operation will be expected to stay on a 'lifelong' controlled diet plan and will also be handed an exercise routine to follow.
Source: NHS 
Despite always being larger than average, Les was still able to be active playing golf and going to watch rugby with his friends. But he said that all changed nine years ago after an accident at work caused his weight to soar.
'I was working as a crane driver's mate and I was carrying a concrete slab when my legs went from under me and my back went.
'After the accident I was immobile for months. I couldn't even move out of bed,' he said.
Les had weighed 22st before his accident but after months of being unable to move - coupled with his diet that often includes McDonald's and pizza, with meals accompanied by slices of thick white bread and butter - his weight rose to 35st.
Now he can't stand up for long without back pain and just walking can leave him breathless so he's often housebound.
He said: 'Its hard to go to places because of my size. I used to go the pub but I don't any more as I find it uncomfortable. I do feel I am missing out on life. My friends do things I can't join in with. If they invite me out I have to say no. 
'I used to swim but I was told not to as I have problems with my shoulders. Also, I can't physically change to swim, I need help, my partner helps me shower at home.' 
Les has been able to lose two stone in recent months - so he now weighs 35st - but he said it's a 'hard struggle' as healthy food is expensive and he can have good days and bad days when it comes to his diet.
'Four apples don't make a meal but a pizza can,' he said. 
In addition to the problems he already has exercising, he's recently got gout which is also hindering his ability to move. 
He said his recent weightloss has been thanks to an injection of the drug Vitasia - which suppresses the appetite - so he is now eating smaller portions than before and cutting out bread and butter as a side dish. 
But he believes having a gastric sleeve fitted - which makes the stomach smaller - is a better long term solution.  
He said until he can get the surgery, he will 'keep going' trying to lose weight by eating less.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages